mercredi 30 janvier 2013

My Lost Saint



 It wasn’t ‘Jude the Obscure’ that made me shed tears.  It was his predecessor, ‘Tess of the D’Urbervilles’.  There they were, as the clock struck eight, compelled to turn at the top of West Hill and look back down on the Wessex city; and there we were, in a French campsite by the river;  it was just after siesta and little Bertie had woken up and her daddy very kindly stopped her crawling all over me so I could sob in my own fashion. So when asked which books have made me cry, yes, ‘Tess of the D’Urbervilles’, ‘The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer’ (sweet sixteen) and Roy’s ‘The God of Small Things’.  The first two, at the end.  The last, a bit all the way through…

 At secondary school we hung, drew and quartered ‘The Return of the Native’.  On skipping through pre-emptively I thought all that landscape would have me bedding down for a kip.  A portion of rolling Wessex under the curve of my hip, the distant town making a pattern of the horizon, sleepily turning into a dream…But I never bedded down; there was always someone coming back across the heath, or a figure to be seen on the ridges.  Magnets on the earth, Hardy’s characters each played their own game with Fate.  But, like Tess later on, they were mostly stoic when the full stop approached.  But there were those more stubborn. I have taken Vye as my pen name.  This villain girl had me rooting for her until the end.  Like I’ll root for myself. Like we all do. Did this woman, who could be coaxed to a Sphinx-like stillness with the brushing of her mane, leap into the roaring Shadwater Weir?  Or, like ‘thistledown in the wind’[1], was a tumble and a fall her true Destiny in the end?  Anyway, they all left me wishing they’d come back, and they do from time to time.  Like briefly meeting up again to write this essay…
 I was now on the Hardy track. I was beginning to find my way around.  So, after the first ‘so long’ to the Reddleman, Thomasin, Wildeve and Eustacia, I sought out ‘Jude’. ‘Jude the Obscure’.  I had heard of him. What a title! How not be drawn to a book which gives one character all that importance and then erases it.  Hardy has an accomplice, because doesn’t she…?  Doesn’t Sue steal the principle role right from our first sight of her photo on Miss Fawley’s mantelpiece, filling Jude’s head and hopes? We do not know what part she is to play, this cousin, but we wait for her like Jude. First we get photographs, and then comradeship, until soon they were inseparable; ‘fools-like two children’, happily relettering the Ten Commandments in some out-of-the way chapel, no sign of a ring but the beginning of a rounded belly.  This is a sweet episode, with Jude reverting to being a craftsman to earn their keep, his theological studies on the backburner and Sue less outraged by ‘ghastly glories of saints, dead limbs of gibbeted Gods’, the very spectres that would eventually lay her low.
 Years after our private first meeting, I tackled ‘Jude’ with a seminar group of strangers.  Or maybe I only went to the lecture. I forget. Either way, I haven’t kept the notes.  I imagine class oppression was discussed.  Perhaps even Hardy’s solitary revolution of Victorian Literature juxtaposing pagan joy against pale Christianity…?  I felt far removed from all discourse and found it hard to open my mouth, sitting there in my corner, but I’ll essay it now: I was on the road with Jude.  I was the collision with Sue when he finally made it to Christminster.  I was hoping.  I was dread.  Because there are some things we can’t forget.  I was a crash through a training school’s window, and a contented huddle by the fire, with a spoonful of brandy gently administered.  Face to face with Jude again, I hadn’t wanted to pin him down in a two thousand word tract, although I probably did come up with the requirements. I probably praised Hardy on his prowess through his life-size pretend world, and got marked accordingly…
 And just recently he came off the shelf into my hands like an Egyptian cat.  What magic made me turn to him again all these years after?  Bertie ten years old and me and her daddy separated these last six.
*
Diary entry, September; Spain
We have been rosé-d.  He lies on the other bed in this bright little hotel room, sticky with the last drops of wine.  The others had gone to bed earlier.  The room is dark.  I am writing into the long dawn.  As I am wont to do, persevering, after wine, whilst the others sleep…
 Before the tilt of wine sends me scribbling back-bowed over my notebook on the floor, I sat on the tiny balcony, my arms gathering up my folded legs.  The staleness of wine breath had me gulping in the night air.  Glimpsed through the half light of the retired village square, the church rose out of the trees whose shadows were performing to the delight of the moon.
I used to stalk churches; I’d dare to go inside and then talk to myself, head bowed, hoping.  On the other side of the world I’d wait to be invited into places of worship, I learnt beautiful prayers to cope with all my desires and volatile reasoning that, now, I can only just conjure  past my lips.
The church bells have begun!  They are filling up the half-light and their echoes are finding me on the balcony.  They are sweeping me clean, my ‘kindling glance’ is shut, nun-like now…
 The churn of sweet wine turned sour in my belly, I go to ground.  The church bells have beaten out a ghost.  Where had she been hiding, that this sound could unearth her?  She comes at me with an enquiry of relentless love.  She wants to know what happened to me after I had left her on the other side of the world.  She knows all the mantras by heart, she smells of fresh night, and she has what I had been looking for: a beautiful recompense for all my confessed remorse.
My back is to you, who lie on the other bed.  The love that I had been saving found you.  And I seem to have shrunk to a girl, angry and impetuous, a quiver full of broken arrows. By then, you took too much science on trust; like God not existing! You sleep through the bells ringing ...What am I to do? Wait, there is another sound now swirling in from the night sky.  It is enrobing the noise of the bells, letting them fade away, warm.  But the sound stays.  The Spanish square is breathing aloud inside the room, as big as Spain beyond.  I strain my ears to hear, frightened that my visitor didn’t leave with the last echo of the bells.  But it is not her.  All I hear is you, on the other bed.  Sound asleep.  Breathing.  Church bells.
She must have lain awake from him some nights and thought, O! Jude, you are church bells! It is I who make the difference…
*
 Some years after this, we found ourselves in a French campsite by the river and you stopped our little girl climbing all over me so I could cry in peace.
 You did always understand my need to cry.
 I know you thought of me as symbolic of something larger, like Jude saw Sue in the engravings from paintings of the Spanish school, and, like him, you warmed to know how near I was. And there we were in Spain, starting out.  And then there was that night when Sue made a dash from the College, as I was always absconding and rushing to you; she settled by the fire in his suit, as he rushed down into the street for brandy to warm her chilled limbs, her rushing heart.  He came back to her clumsy excuses for her under garments, drying there before the fire.  I spent years clumsily excusing away any feeling I had for you that did not pertain to the pure.  How could I have curled up with you after it was you administering the remedy?  How to give myself to you, even falteringly, when after I fell asleep you stood regarding me and saw in me something much more than I was. Hence, my ode to a sexless love affair, my appreciation of all that you taught me, asleep on the other bed, and then at the side of other littler beds, because for a time we ‘kept house and managed everything’, and came up with two delightful souls. Our Aldbrickham days! Our cheery walks across fields and our cold dinners because of them.  I offer you all this and my reading of Jude the Obscure for the third time…will you accept it, friend and comrade?

You are church bells
In a sleeping Spanish square
My stony mantra
Unmouthed these past six years

*
 I would wait tremblingly for Hardy’s full stop.  Trudging around the rooms for let with Sue and Jude, starting on Mildew Lane, and being refused further down the tiny streets until a misunderstanding allows Sue and the kids to rest for one night. Just one night.  After this, I was less naïve as I followed Angel and Tess creeping across the countryside waiting for Fate to catch up with them.  Less naïve and less hopeful.  Yet, he had turned and waited for her, this figure in the distance, and as she came closer he could do nothing but feel tenderness for her. Their last days together in the forest were solemn and still and peaceful, and in the mansion draughty and candleless; shuttered, sweet and lovely.  If only it didn’t have to come to an end   But my breath baited, my heart, like Tess’, being roused and spent, when they came we were ready; they let the sun on our eyelids wake us up …

 Funny how we don’t always remember the endings even of the novels that we love the best. Not exactly.  Certainly not word for word.  The only one I have managed off pat is ‘The Fox Cub Bold’.  It didn’t come to mind earlier but it is another real tear jerker… ‘Bold looked towards the watchful figure in the oak tree and prepared, at last, to leave the Real World’[2] had my mother busy coaxing me back to reason many a night during my childhood. I don’t remember anything about Laura Palmer except that she stayed on my bookcase for years and I was too overcome ever to read her again.  I could describe to you the smell of Ayemenem in ‘The God of Small Things’, and if they ever made the, thankfully, forbidden film it would be me playing Ammu disappearing. Years between readings, I completely forgot that Eustacia Vye hadn’t made it.  That the Shadwater Weir took her down.  I had her on the boat, brave sailing…
 Yet I had remembered that Sue and Jude parted. I knew that she went back to Mr.Phillotson. I knew that it was tormenting and sad.  But I hadn’t remembered exactly, and how much. Even this time there were no tears.  As we all know, there are many different ways to cry. I could even count the ways…
  I just put it down on my knees, along with the saints and along with God, looked up high, thought of you, and sucked down an awful lot of air…











[1] All quotes are from Thomas Hardy, ‘The Return of the Native’, 1878, ‘Jude the Obscure’, 1896, and ‘Tess of the D’Urbervilles’, 1891.
[2] Colin Dann, ‘The Fox Cub Bold’ 1983
‘The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer’ (1990) was written by Jennifer Lynch and the ‘The God of Small Things’ (1997) by Arundhati Roy.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire